Tuesday, 3 April 2007

A work rant

It's been a crazy busy couple of days with lots of conflicting demands on my time. I'm enjoying the feeling of being in demand and wanted although it reached the point today where I can no longer satisfy everyone which is far less fun. Still trying though, and hoping to swing some things and make it work.

I've spent quite a bit of time this week pulling people into little rooms with closed doors and talking about the decision I needed to make (see my earlier post) and I have been impressed at how willing people have been to listen and how much caring they've all shown. There's something really special about a workplace where it's perfectly ok for me to grab a senior staff member and agonise at him for an hour. There's something even more special about a workplace where the senior staff member being agonised at is happy to advise a course of action contrary to what his manager had recommended because he believes it would be more to my advantage.

I also had a neat discussion with my project manager this morning around why we all do what we do and what makes it fun. Both of us enjoy the challenge of direct client-facing work and love being busy doing multiple things at once. I really enjoy the ability to craft something to suit a client's requirements, tweaking it so it's exactly what they need and helps them do their job somehow. She gets excited about really difficult clients or large disasters that need sorting out, smoothing over or rebuilding.

Overall, the people I work with are incredibly consistently cool. They're supportive, encouraging, caring, enthusiastic, dedicated, patient and great fun to be with! We're all very different but that 'coolness factor' is so consistent it's always surprising me and I tend to rant on about it at length fairly frequently. Seriously though, I think you'd be pretty hard pushed to find a more supportive, fun and exciting place to work. Yes, there are lots of challenges and we sometimes work long hours to get something done. Sometimes clients throw curve balls at you and you don't duck fast enough, some people are less-than-fun to be around, some projects drag on and on and on... but there are always moments when something works and your workmates join you in shouting how pleased you are, or a client finally recognises what you've done and thanks you, or a team pulls together and produces something none of them could have on their own. I love my job :)

p.s. By the way, now that I've had my rant - we're hiring! Come work for us :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I'm a bit far behind. But are you advertising for positions which need no coding knowledge? ;)
- Tinkerbell