Sunday, 1 April 2007

Golfing outcomes

Well golf was indeed a lesson in humility as expected - although thanks to Ambrose rules and Phil and Glenn being far better than they had claimed to be our team managed to come second! I intend to display the award somewhere conspicuous for people to marvel at. :)

At the start of the day I said my aim was for the ball to leave the tee and for it to go generally forwards. Goal achieved although I don't feel any particular sense of achievement. The moral perhaps that small goals, while realistic, aren't much fun! We discovered that I can chip tolerably well, but that any and all other shots (including off the tee with a driver) go about the same distance as my chip shots. I was surprised at how unnatural a movement a golf swing is. Professionals certainly manage to make it look natural and everything I've seen or read about how to play golf seems to talk about getting your swing nice and smooth so I was expecting it to feel, well, smoother! Some of the things people do in the name of fun really are rather odd. Overall, I'm not planning on taking up golf anytime soon but we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and if we do it again I'd be keen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So you've given us your reasons for NOT saying no... what about your reasons FOR saying no? Give us a balanced argument :-P