Saturday, 31 March 2007

Decisions... and golf

Sometimes, when I take a metaphorical step back and look at my own actions from another perspective they look extremely odd. Here's the example I'm currently thinking of:

I have a decision to make at the moment - can't say too much (for hopefully obvious reasons!) but basically it's an offer of a role I need to accept or decline. My decision making (or rather, not-making) process seems perfectly logical inside my own head but from any other point of view... well... a little less logical. I had a brief chat to my 'counsellor' about the role (where I work we all have a senior staff member assigned as a 'counsellor' with whom we meet up once a month and discuss career goals, it's great) and he was fairly adamant I should turn it down. His reasons all make sense and, in terms of my career as a whole, taking the new role is probably a fairly silly idea.

However, I really don't want to say no. I realised this while I was seriously considering finding another staff member who would want me to accept, explaining the reasons I shouldn't and waiting for them to convince me otherwise. Talk about taking the easy way out! So I made a list (This is typical behaviour for me: if in doubt, make a list. If still in doubt, make another list.) of why it was I felt I didn't want to say no. Basically, it came down to four things:

  1. I don't like to say no to anything, ever.
  2. I'm very fond of the project manager who's asking me to take on the role and I don't want to disappoint them.
  3. I want the title so I can feel important and useful.
  4. I think the role is important, and I want to see it done properly. (If you want something done properly do it yourself!)
Logically, as far as I can see, the only one of those things which should be taken into any consideration is the last. So the real question becomes: "Should I be putting my own career goals to the side for the sake of getting a particular job done well?"

That's interesting, because now I put it in those terms the answer, to me at least, seems extremely obvious - yes. If I believe something should be done well and that I am the best person to do it then I should do it without any consideration of whether it may be to my advantage. I'm now cringing at the thought of explaining that logic to either my counsellor or my mother, both of whom will probably berate me for being too much of a sentimentalist.

Or, am I just convincing myself that this is good logic so I can take my preferred way out and not have to say no? When I've finished second-third-and-fourth-guessing myself I'll let you know! I'm also going to need to decide if I really do think I'm the best person to do it...

Anyway, enough said about that before I say more than I should! We are having a team golf day this afternoon which will, I think, be something of an exercise in humility. Any kind of physical co-ordination has never been my strong point and I haven't played golf before... Should be good fun though :)

No comments: