Sunday, 29 April 2007

Coffee

I had to take a workmate out for coffee on friday. While other workmates have previously taken me out for coffee when I needed it, this is the first time I've done it for someone else and it's made me rather sad.

To give you some perspective: the workmate in question is the team lead on the other half of a large project I'm working on. We don't work directly together but closely enough that I know what's going on. I've been making a point of keeping an eye on things for a while, going over to chat, asking him how things are coming along etc. On friday afternoon we had a team meeting in which we had, once again, gone over the various things that are making a particular section of the work less-than-fun. There had been some infrastructure issues between our site and the client site so progress had been slow and frustration levels were pretty high. Add to that another team member who was struggling and needed help, the senior team member busy with other projects and not able to give much time and a go-live date approaching fast... Result: one stressed and unhappy team lead (surprise surprise).

After the project manager had closed the meeting and left, a few of us just sat and looked at each other for a while until I informed my workmate that we should go get some coffee. We had coffee, and cakes, and I let him talk for a while about how upset he was. Then we talked about the shed he was going to be building over the weekend and his little son... and then went back to work. All well and good, and I was glad to be able to be there for him, but not how things should have been.

Now, some of the factors stressing him out could perhaps have been avoided, but I don't want to go into that here and I think most things are out of our direct control. Cause is beside the point, what I do think is a problem is that we had an upset staff member and it was left to me to do the coffee thing. It shouldn't have been me. I didn't have the authority to say what needed to be said (that he was doing a great job) or to offer help because I'm not involved enough or senior enough for it to mean anything.

Our project manager did, in fact, shout us all coffee on thursday. That was great and we all enjoyed a break and a chance to chat to everyone but there is a difference between shouting the team coffee and taking a particular staff member out to provide some one-on-one support/appreciation. Individual attention is incredibly important, especially when things aren't going so well. When managing a difficult project, I think it's crucial to ensure that each individual member of the team believes that you know and care how things are going for them. If you're pushed for time, at least make sure you have that kind of a relationship with the team lead and encourage them to do the same for the rest of the team. You don't need to take them out for coffee every time; just pull up a chair next to their desk and have a chat, then remember what issues they mentioned and ask them later how they're progressing.

I know I'm sounding very idealistic and that it's difficult to keep track of things to that degree but it is possible and I believe it's worth it. Go on, take someone who needs it out for coffee tomorrow :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jo, sorry, but what an absolute crock of shyte.

YOU don't need "authority" to be there for someone. Just take it. It SHOULD be you. That's why we play together in TEAMS.

Anonymous said...

Hah! Just re-read my comment and realised how much of a rant it was! Sorry for that.

Good on ya for doing coffee. I'll have to do just that tomorrow with someone! :D

Jo said...

Lol :) Thanks for that John, and no worries about the rant-ish nature - I can't claim the original post wasn't a rant! You're quite right, authority's not required to be there for someone, but being there and making sympathetic noises is all you can do. Seniority can tell them they're doing a great job and mean something to them or swing that seniority to help in some way... just that little bit extra :)